Western Australia


All exploration in Western Australia must be conducted under an authority from the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety. Exploration and production licences are granted under the Mining Act 1978 , the Petroleum and Geothermal Energy Resources Act 1967 and Offshore Minerals Act 2003.

  • Tenement Types

    The main tenement types fall under the Mining Act 1978, Petroleum and Geothermal Act 1967, Petroleum (Submerged Lands) Act 1982 or Offshore Minerals Act 2003. The grant of exploration and production tenure gives the holder exclusive rights to explore or mine for minerals/coal, or explore and produce petroleum/gas during the term of the lease. Each has its own compliance requirements which must be fulfilled.

    The different types of tenements, most widely used, are:

    • Exploration Licence (E)
    • Mining Lease (M)
    • Prospecting Licence (P)
    • Retention Licence (R)
    • Special Prospecting Licence for Gold (SPL)
    • General Purpose Lease (GPL)
    • Miscellaneous Licence (M)
    • Petroleum Exploration Permit (PEP)
    • Petroleum Drilling Reservation (PDR)

  • Legislation

    All exploration, mining and production in Western Australia must be conducted in accordance with the relevant Acts and Regulations.